Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Thoughts on Haggai

This morning began with a cup of coffee and my Bible and while I would like to say that every morning starts this way - I cannot. Normally, at least within the past 5-6 weeks, they have started with mentally listing all the things I had to do for the day and making a mental side bar that it would most likely not all get done. So for these reasons I felt even more compelled to jump in as quick and possible because after all it wouldn't be long before JC would need to be fed or held and this would mean my 'to dos' would start even later. Ladies, isn't it so easy to feel this way, to become frustrated with every 'distraction' because you have to do, do, do? I decided that I needed to get my priorities in order. I remember when I was working and I would always think how if I could be a SAHWM I would certainly make time for slow mornings and intimate time with the Lord. Of course the grass is always greener on the other side and things are easier said than done. So I made it a point this morning once JC was settled (and I made sure to enjoy every moment of feeding him rather than just another 'to-do' checked off) I poured myself a hot cup of coffee and grabbed my Bible and wouldn't you know it as I glanced over the commentators introduction Haggai I noticed the word 'priority' - perfect for this morning because I had already determined in my heart would be the first day of a priority shift in my ministry as a SAHWM. Just from reading the first chapter I saw how the Jews lost focus of the ultimate goal - the very reason they had been allowed to return to their homeland - which was to rebuild the temple. They began to focus on the immediate and began building their own homes and businesses and it was 16 years before their returned to their purpose. Can you image loosing focus of your purpose for 16 years? Even more can you imagine the Lord calling you out - you sow a lot but reap little, you eat and are not full, you clothe and are not warm, you earn but it falls out as in a bag with wholes. I know this feeling all to well -- the to-do list that greets me every morning may all have received check marks but sadly these check marks are the only 'proof' that anything was ever done because by the end of the night everything seemed to return to its original state of messiness. Ladies, I guess the bottom line is like I told my husband this evening as he complimented me on how great the house looked - 'there are 100 more things that I could/need to do' and the fact of the matter is there will ALWAYS be 100 more things that you could/need to do. So I contend if at the end of the day this will always be the case then perhaps this is even more reason to press the pause button on the to-do's and spend time in the word and prayer before anything else receives a check a mark - after all once I've been in the presence of the Lord my day is always better and everything I do always seems easier. Hence I would rather do 10 things in my ministry to my family and home well and as unto the Lord than 50 rushed and overwhelmed. The commentator of Haggai stated, 'If you lose focus of the ultimate you will become enslaved to the immediate'. I took this to heart and stopped for a moment to realize that the ultimate goal is not the dishes or laundry but rather to be a Godly wife and mother. What better way than to pray for my husband and my children, to slow down and enjoy the time I spend nursing my newborn, reading a book to my toddler or snuggling at bedtime? See, when I get my priorities in line, God being first, everything else falls into place - both the ultimate and immediate. After all, I was created for this!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I had never thought about my lost priorities like the people of Israel "forgetting" to build the temple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it has never crossed my mind either. It's amazing how the holy spirit will show you things when you're truly seeking to be in the center of his will. He truly does give wisdom to those who ask. I'm glad I asked :)

    ReplyDelete